After the Storm:
Filing a Claim:
- Make temporary repairs to keep any further damage from happening to your home
- Have someone cover leaking roofs for you with a tarp to prevent further damage
- Turn the power OFF when there is any water leaking around or near outlets or light fixtures
- Make sure to check rooms that are not often used: closets, guest bedrooms, bathrooms as these are often places that people will find damage later
- Any dark spots on the walls, ceilings, or floors could be mold from moisture still being held behind or beneath these places. This is not safe to live in! You need to have your home inspected to find where the moisture is coming from.
- Be sure to review your Policy to determine what deductible applies. Some policies have just an All Perils Deductible, but most policies have a separate either Named Storm Deductible or Hurricane Deductible which would apply for Hurricane Irma.
Filing a Claim:
- When reporting a claim be sure to give a telephone number that the Adjuster can best reach you and preferably one with an answering machine. If you do not have an answering machine please do NOT assume they have not tried to reach you.
- Write down the Claim Number, Adjuster’s Name and Contact Number and keep this in a safe place! You will need this any time you have to talk to the company or us about your claim.
- When the Appraiser comes to look at the damages to your home, make sure to ask for a business card and keep this in a safe place for future reference to know who came out to your home and write down when they came out.
*To report a claim click HERE then click on your Company Name or call the number listed.*
Your Local Insurance Agency
Edwards and Mims Insurance Agency, previously know as Edwards Insurance Agency, has been servicing Williamsburg County and the surrounding counties for the last 78 years. We are dedicated to our customers by providing them with the best policy for their needs while making them feel at home.
We can help you with your Auto Insurance, Home Insurance, Business Insurance, and more!
Discounts you may be eligible for at Edwards & Mims Insurance Agency